The overall role of the Treasurer is to maintain an overview of the Charity’s affairs, safeguarding its financial viability and ensuring that proper financial records, procedures and internal controls are maintained. Darlington Mind is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee.
The role is a voluntary and honorary one and is not a formally constituted position. Financial responsibility remains the joint responsibility of the whole board. However, Darlington Mind finds it useful to have a board member with a particular focus on finance who can provide challenge and support to the Executive team and advice and direction to the rest of the board.
The Responsibilities of the Treasurer
As a Trustee/Director of the Charity/Company, the treasurer carries the same responsibilities as a normal board member. (An overview can be found in The Essential Trustee: what you need to know, what you need to do (CC6) and is also included in the application pack for prospective trustees).
The treasurer is additionally asked to lead on the following responsibilities:
- Monitoring the financial administration of the Charity and keeping the Board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities.
- Ensuring the Charity has sound financial policies (including a reserves policy) and robust financial management and reporting systems in place.
- Overseeing the preparation of, and presenting, financial reports to the Board (and Chairing the Finance and Strategy Committee) for each of their meetings.
- Overseeing and supporting the preparation and presentation of budgets, accounts and financial statements, as and when needed.
- Ensuring that the Charity’s financial accounts are prepared in a suitable format compliant with legal, accounting, and Charity Commission requirements, and liaising with the auditors/independent examiners as appropriate.
- Monitoring and advising on the financial viability of the charity.
- Advising on the financial implications of the Charity’s strategic plan and of any projects, activities and fundraising it may undertake.
- Acting as an authorised signatory on charity cheques, payments and agreements with funders.
- Liaising with and supporting paid senior staff about financial matters.
- Assisting with the presentation of the Accounts at the Annual General Meeting and drawing attention to important points in an easily understandable way.
Applying for the role
Darlington Mind has a standard application and recruitment process for prospective Trustees which will apply to all individuals interested in the role of Honorary Treasurer.
For more information please contact the Chief Executive Officer: email@example.com
See also www.darlingtonmind.com