- This event has passed.
Malton: Do we want to be a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO)?
November 27 @ 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
What structure do you want your charity to be?
This training will provide an opportunity to find out more about:
- Possible structures for charities: charitable trusts, charitable associations, charitable companies, CIOs
- Issues of corporate status and limited liability
- Choosing a structure for a new charity – the process of forming a new CIO
- Converting an existing charity to a CIO – overview of the main steps – including specific issues for charities with buildings
- Questions and discussion
Who is the event aimed at?
Trustees or staff of local charities operating Village Halls and Community Buildings that are reviewing their organisational structures and particularly with a view to becoming a CIO.
It is assumed that participants have some appreciation of the duties of being a trustee/committee member of a local charitable organisation
What will I learn?
On completion of the session, participants should have:
- an understanding of the main advantages and disadvantages of the CIO as compared to other charity structures
- an understanding in broad terms of the steps involved in converting an existing charity to a CIO (including both the benefits and the demands)
- an ability to make recommendations to other trustees of their organisations on these issues – on the assumption that the organisation will seek further support on the detailed processes.
The training will be delivered by Dr Gareth Morgan of The Kubernesis Partnership LLP (Charity Consultants, York). Dr Morgan is also author of Charitable Incorporated Organisations (DSC 2nd edn 2018). www.kubernesis.co.uk
This training is free to groups based in the Ryedale District thanks to funding from Ryedale District Council.
It is also free to organisations in North Yorkshire with an annual income of up to £5K thanks to funding from North Yorkshire County Council.
For all other organisations there is a fee of £20 plus VAT (£24 in total).
Refreshments are available during signing in from 10.15 – 10:30am.
Please book your place and make payment as appropriate here.
If you have any questions please contact Nina Muir at Community First Yorkshire on e: firstname.lastname@example.org t: 01904 704 177.